Monthly Digest Menu

Monthly Digest - November 1969

Date: 1st November 1969 Opposition: Aberdeen Score (H/T): 2-1 (1-0)
Competition: Division One Venue: East End Park Attendance: 6,336
Scorers: [1-0] Edwards (20 pen), [1-1] Forrest (65), [2-1] Edwards (90)
Cards (Yellow): McMillan (Aberdeen)
Pars Team: Martin, Callaghan, Lunn, McGarty, Baillie, Robertson, Mitchell, McKimmie, Edwards, Gardner, McLean. Sub: Thomson.
Aberdeen: McGarr, Hermiston, Kirkland, Peterson (Hamilton), McMillan, Murray, Harper, Robb, Forrest, Willoughby, McIlroy.
Referee: A.J.Crawley (Glasgow)
This was a superb game, with a thrilling finale. DA took the lead in 20 minutes, when Kirkland was ruled to have handled a Gardner cross. Edwards did the necessary from the spot. Aberdeen equalised through Forrest, who shot from an acute angle. As the game moved into injury time, Mitchell ran to the bye-line and turned in a low hard cross that reached Edwards, who touched the ball past McGarr, to spark scenes of euphoria amongst supporters and players alike. 
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
1 Dundee United 10 7 2 1 19 13 16
2 Dunfermline Ath 11 7 2 2 15 11 16
3 Hibernian 10 7 1 2 20 10 15
Dunfermline reserves are well beaten 4-0 by Aberdeen at Pittodrie. Laird is sent off after receiving a second booking. 
Date: 5th November 1969 Opposition: Gwardia Warsaw Score (H/T): 2-1 (1-0)
Competition: I-C Fairs Cup  Venue: East End Park Attendance: 11,137
Round: Second Leg: First  
Scorers: [1-0] McLean (8), [1-1] Marczak (63), [2-1] Gardner (73)
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Martin, W Callaghan, Lunn, McGarty, Baillie, Renton, Mitchell, McKimmie (Robertson), Edwards, Gardner, McLean. Substitutes Not Used: Thomson, McNicol, Brown, Duff
Aberdeen: Pocialik, Jurozak, Kielak, Stroka, Michallik, Dawieczynski, Wisniewski, Szymczak, Biernacki, Masztaler, Marczak. Substitutes: Nowicki, A Lapinski, E Lapinski, Krasuki, Hanke.
Referee: J Minnoy (Bulgaria)
Not a classic game, but Dunfermline did enough to win despite being troubled by Gwardia's speed and accurate passing. The Pars took an early lead when Edwards took a corner on the left and the ball fell to McLean, who went past one defender before shooting past Pocialik to score. Gwardia's equaliser in 63 minutes, came after Marczak caught the Dunfermline defence out of position when he ran through to place the ball past Bent Martin. Dunfermline's winner in 73 minutes came after a bouncing cross from Edwards had deceived the visiting defence, and was driven into the net by Pat Gardner. In the final seconds, Lunn kicked a ball off the line.  
Date: 8th November 1969 Opposition: Dundee Score (H/T): 1-1 (0-1)
Competition: Division One Venue: Dens Park Attendance: N/K
Scorers: [0-1] Wallace (23), [1-1] Cowan (80)
Cards (Yellow): Mitchell (DAFC)
Pars Team: Martin, Callaghan, Lunn, McGarty, Baillie, Renton, Mitchell, McKimmie (Cowan), Edwards, Gardner, Robertson.
Dundee: Donaldson, Wilson, Swan, Murray, Easton, Selway, Campbell, Gilroy, Wallace, Scott, Kinninmonth. Sub: Houston
Referee: T Marshall (Glasgow)
A draw was a fair result, as neither team deserved to win this Dens Park encounter. Dundee took the lead after Wallace seized on a poor Martin punch out. With 10 minutes remaining, Ian Cowan equalised after a Renton shot had been blocked.
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
2 Dundee United 11 7 3 1 19 13 17
3 Dunfermline Ath 12 7 3 2 16 12 17
4 Rangers 12 7 2 3 21 12 16
The reserves also drew 1-1 with Dundee at EEP. Andy Tracey scored the Pars goal.
Dunfermline's travel plans for Warsaw have been dealt a blow after the authorities refused to let their charter aircraft land in the Polish capital. The Athletic will now travel by the Polish airline LOT, at an increased cost. The game has been switched from Gwardia's ground to the neighbouring stadium belonging to Legia Warsaw. This was because Gwardia's ground has no floodlights. 
Date: 15th November 1969 Opposition: Airdrieonians Score (H/T): 4-2 (2-0)
Competition: Division One Venue: East End Park Attendance: 5,148
Scorers: [1-0] Renton (21), [2-0] Gardner (31), [2-1] Delaney (63 pen), [3-1]  Paton (75), [4-1] Edwards (84), [4-2] Jarvie (89)
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Martin, Callaghan, Lunn, Thomson, McGarty, Renton, Mitchell, Paton, Edwards, Gardner, McLean (Cowan)
Airdrie: N/K
Referee: N/K
Although this appeared to be a comfortable win, Airdrie troubled the home defence throughout, and having reduced the deficit to one goal thanks to a Delaney penalty, they could have gone on to equalise. Renton opened the scoring with a hard shot that found McKenzie unsighted, and the ball passed through his legs. Gardner put the home team two up with a fine shot from a Callaghan cross. Delaney then scored with a penalty after Jarvie was fouled by Thomson. An Edwards cross was head flicked by Paton into the net by Paton for the third. With six minutes remaining, Edwards then scored himself with a superb 25 yard shot. Drew Jarvie scored in the last minute with a header from a corner.
The reserves drew 3-3 with Airdrie at Broomfiled. Kenny Laird scored two, and Andy Tracey grabbed the equaliser in the final minute of the game.
At the Athletic's AGM, a loss of 35,000 was reported. Increased wages, travelling expenses to European ties, reduced gate receipts and transfer fees ware blamed for the deficit. 
A challenge match against Wolves has been arranged for 2nd December at EEP.
Date: 18th November 1969 Opposition: Gwardia Warsaw Score (H/T): 1-0 (1-0)
Competition: I-C Fairs Cup Venue: Warsaw Attendance: 12,000
Round: Second Leg: Second Aggregate: 3-1
Scorers: [1-0] Renton (3)
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Martin, W Callaghan, Lunn, McGarty, Baillie, Renton, Mitchell, Paton, Edwards, Gardner, McLean
Gwardia: Pocialik, Sroka, Jurozak, Michallik, Kielak, Wisniewski, Marczak, Lipinski, Szymczak, Dawieczynski, Masztaler
Referee: G Muncz (Hungary)
A tremendous victory by the Athletic who were written off beforehand as having 'no chance'. The Athletic defence stood firm and an early Willie Renton goal from 30 yards shot separated the two teams. Despite making many chances, good defending and poor finishing saw the Pars move onto the third round
Date: 26th November 1969 Opposition: Hibernian Score (H/T): 0-3 (0-2)
Competition: Division One Venue: Easter Road Attendance: 18,671
Scorers: [0-1] Graham (16), [0-2] Graham (18), [0-3] McBride (85 pen)
Cards (Yellow): Edwards (DAFC)
Pars Team: Martin, Callaghan, Lunn, McGarty, Baillie, Renton, Mitchell, Paton, Edwards, Gardner, McLean. Sub: Robertson.
Hibernian: Marshall, Shevlane, McEwan, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Marinello, McBride, Cormack, Graham, Stevenson. Sub: Hamilton
Referee: J W Paterson (Bothwell)
League leaders Hibs deserved their victory over the Pars in this bad tempered affair. Graham put them one up when he slid home a McBride pass from short range, and the same player scored again two minutes later, heading home a corner. Hibs were awarded a soft penalty with five minutes to go after Graham went down after being tackled by Baillie. McBride converted. 
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
3 Rangers 14 8 3 3 28 17 19
4 Dunfermline Ath 14 8 3 3 20 17 19
5 Celtic 12 8 1 3 29 17 17