Monthly Digest Menu

Monthly Digest - December 1969

With their match against Dundee United called off, the results of their closest rivals saw DA drop a place to fifth in Division One.
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
4 Dundee Utd 13 8 3 2 20 14 19
5 Dunfermline Ath 14 8 3 3 20 17 19
6 Dundee 15 7 3 5 21 17 17
With no game on the Saturday, manager Farm arranged a midweek challenge match against Wolves with the intention of fielding a full strength side in a bid to win the game. Wolves had a number of international players in their line-up, including Scotland's Jim McCalliog and Hugh Curran, but one star player not present at EEP was Derek Dougan, who was suspended.  
Date: 2nd December 1969 Opposition: Wolverhampton Wanderers Score (H/T): 0-4 (0-1)
Competition: Friendly Venue: East End Park Attendance: 6,273
Scorers: [0-1] Woodfield (13), [0-2] Lutton (63), [0-3] McCalliog (71), [0-4] Curran (80)
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Martin, W Callaghan (Brown), Lunn, McGarty, Baillie, Renton (Robertson), Mitchell, Paton, Edwards, Gardner, McLean (Millar)
Wolves: Parkes, Taylor (Lutton), Parkin, Wilson, Holsgrove, Woodfield, McCalliog, O'Grady, Walker, Curran, Wagstaff
Referee: N/K
Wolves made Dunfermline look like novices in this friendly challenge match, with the outcome never really in doubt. However DA got off to a good start and Gardner, McLean and Paton all came near before Wolves took the lead. Woodfield scored the opener with a header from an O'Grady corner kick, and although Bent Martin appeared to have the ball covered, it slipped in at the post. Right on half time Paton almost equalised, bringing out a good save from Parker. Wolves second came from a breakaway as Lutton raced through the centre. Number three was a McCalliog header from a Wagstaff cross, and the final goal came as Curran prodded home from close range.  
Reserve full back Jimmy Brown is included in the Scottish Youth Professional squad for a three day get together in the forthcoming week. Brown had made his Athletic debut against Kilmarnock two months previously.
The Dunfermline Athletic Board of Directors scotch rumours that manager George Farm will be leaving the club for a new position. 
Reserve centre half Kenny Laird is banned by the SFA for 7 days after being sent off in a game against Aberdeen.
The Reserve team wins 4-2 against Dundee United at Tannadice. Cowan, Traynor (2) and Laird are the scorers.
DA are drawn against Belgian team Anderlecht in the third round of the Fairs Cup. For the first time since 1966, the Pars will contest the first leg away from home. George Farm wasted no time in heading to Brussels to see the Belgians in action. 
For the game against Motherwell, manager Farm handed youngster Dave McNicoll his debut, one of a number of changes made. Bent Martin, John McGarty, Willie Renton and George McLean were all dropped and replaced by Willie Duff, Dave McNicoll, Bert Paton and Hugh Robertson.
Date: 6th December 1969 Opposition: Motherwell Score (H/T): 0-0 (0-0)
Competition: Division One Venue: Fir Park Attendance: N/K
Scorers: None
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Duff, W Callaghan, Lunn, McNicoll, Baillie, Paton, Edwards, McLaren, Mitchell, Gardner, Robertson. Sub not used: Cowan 
Motherwell: McCrae, Campbell, Wark, Forsyth, McCallum, Goldthorp, Murphy, McInally, Deans, Wilson, Muir. Sub Cowan 
Referee: I M D Foote (Glasgow)
Despite the lack of goals this was an exciting game with the Athletic denied victory thanks to a superb goalkeeping display by 'Well's Keith McCrae. After a quiet opening period, the Pars took control and McCrae had to produce brilliant saves from McLaren and Edwards. Motherwell had the ball in the net after half an hour, but referee Foote ruled offside. Mitchell hit the post and had a header superbly saved, and right at the end the keeper again excelled with a save from a Robertson header.
Despite the failure to win, Farm expressed satisfaction with his team's performance against Motherwell. However, it was the third game running that DA had failed to find the net.
With four first team regulars in the side, the Reserves win their game against Motherwell at East End Park by an incredible 9-0. George McLean scores five, Jim Thomson two, with singles from Willie Renton and George McKimmie. 
Date: 10th December 1969 Opposition: Dundee United Score (H/T): 2-3 (2-1)
Competition: Division One Venue: East End Park Attendance: 6,592
Scorers: [0-1] W Callaghan (90secs og), [1-1] Robertson (21), [2-1] Paton (43), [2-2] Rolland, [2-3] Rolland
Cards (Yellow): Baillie (DAFC), Gordon, Rolland (Dundee Utd)
Pars Team: Duff, W Callaghan, Lunn, McNicoll, Baillie, Paton, Edwards, McLaren, Mitchell, Gardner, Robertson (McLean)
Dundee United: Mackay, Rolland, J Cameron, Gillespie, Smith, Henry, Wilson, Reid, Gordon, Mitchell, Scott. Sub: K Cameron
Referee: S Anderson (Glasgow)
Dunfermline got off to the worst possible start when Willie Callaghan knocked a Duff touch out into his own net, but the home team rallied and managed to go in at the interval leading. Robertson equalised after Mitchell raced to the bye-line and crossed, and just before the break Paton put the Pars ahead  from an Edwards cross. Mitchell had an opportunity to increase that lead just after the interval, but somehow missed an empty goal. Seemingly on easy street DA then slumped, and ex Cowdenbeath player Andy Rolland scored twice to give Dundee United another victory at East End Park. 
The United defeat means that Dunfermline had not recorded a win over the Arabs at EEP since September 1963.
There was a blow to Dunfermline's European hopes when Bert Paton was stretchered off in the second half of the Dundee United game with a double leg break. The nature of the break means that it will be at least August before he is ready to return to action.
Tickets for the Anderlecht game at EEP are put on sale, priced 15/- for the Main Stand, 10/- for the wing stand and 5/- for the terracing.
Date: 13th December 1969 Opposition: St Mirren Score (H/T): 2-0 (1-0)
Competition: Division One Venue: East End Park Attendance: 4,291
Scorers: [1-0] Mitchell (33), [2-0] Gardner (89)
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Duff, W Callaghan, Lunn, McNicoll, Baillie, McLean, Edwards, McLaren, Mitchell, Gardner, Robertson Sub not used: Thomson.
St Mirren: Connaghan, C Murray, Connell, Fulton, McFadden, Cumming, Gilshaw (E Murray), Lister, Adamson, Blair, Urqhart
Referee: R.H. Davidson
On a slippy EEP surface, and with Dunfermline's minds on their forthcoming European tie, St Mirren went all out for an early goal, but despite their efforts failed to trouble the home defence or keeper Duff. After the opening period, DA took control and a Mitchell header came off the bar. Then in 21 minutes the Athletic were awarded a penalty after Fulton fouled Robertson, but Edwards spot kick was saved by Connachan. In 33 minutes after some good work by Edwards, the winger's cross was knocked past Connachan by Barrie Mitchell for the opener. Mitchell and McLean both came close, and an Edwards piledriver came off the post. Edwards had the ball in the net in 58 minutes, but the referee ruled offside against Mitchell. Despite their dominance it took until the last minute for DA to double their lead when Gardner swept an Edwards cross into the net.
At Love Street the Pars Reserves lose 4-1, with their sole goal being scored by Jim Traynor. In a surprise move, goalkeeper Bent Martin is substituted after 70 minutes, being replaced in goals by defender Stuart Gordon.
At the club's AGM the son of the late chairman David Thomson claims that the Athletic's Board of Directors had insulted his mother by not inviting her to the boardroom. Chairman Andrew Watson claimed it was club policy to exclude wives of former directors from the boardroom.
Also at the AGM, East End Park boo boys were criticised by manager Farm. A minority of 'supporters' were accused of shouting abuse at the team and Farm said, "they may feel that the admission fee entitles them to shout abuse at the team - but in my opinion it certainly does not". He urged fans to show more tolerance. The manager also expressed his optimism for the future of the club, citing a number of good young players such as Traynor, Brown, McNicoll, McLaren and Millar who were on the books.
Following his removal from goal in the reserve game with St Mirren, Bent Martin is heavily fined and placed on the open to transfer list as a result of his "failure to give his best endeavours in terms of his contract".
As a result of the Bent Martin situation, goalkeeper John Arrol is signed from Dundee. 14 hours later the goalie was on his way to Belgium as part of the squad for the game with Anderlecht.
After their car broke down on the way to Edinburgh Airport to catch the flight to Brussels, George McKimmie rescued the stranded George McLean, Hugh Robertson, Dave McNicoll and John Arrol.
Whilst Dunfermline were without the experienced Bert Paton and Jim Fraser, Anderlecht were without their star player Paul van Himst, who had the flu.
Date: 17th December 1969 Opposition: Anderlecht Score (H/T): 0-1 (0-1)
Leg: First Venue: Brussels Attendance: 17,000
Scorers: [0-1] Deverindt  (43)
Booked: Baillie (DAFC)
Pars Team: Duff, W Callaghan, Lunn, McNicol, Baillie, McLean, Edwards, McLaren, Mitchell, Gardner, Robertson. Subs: Arrol, Thomson, Brown, Millar, Cowan.
Anderlecht: Van Den Bossche, Heylena, Velkeneers, Kialunda, Cornelis, Peeters, Nordahl, Devrindt, Mulder, Bergholdz (Hanon), Puis. Subs: Mair, Desanghere, Volders.
Referee: O Huberta (Switzerland)
Dunfermline equipped themselves well on a freezing cold night in Brussels, losing just one goal to the crack Belgian side. It was the home side that had most of the play and they squandered three excellent chances that would have made their trip to Fife for the return leg much easier. The goal was a poor one for the Pars defence to lose as Johan Devrendt was one of two players unmarked in the six yard box who had the easiest of tasks to head home. Other than that slip, the visiting defence was in good form throughout, as was goalkeeper Willie Duff who made some excellent saves. Dunfermline had few chances  with Barrie Mitchell often ploughing a lone furrow up front. 
Farm expressed himself satisfied with the result in Brussels, with the single goal defeat giving the Pars a real chance of getting a result in the return leg at EEP in January.
Date: 20th December 1969 Opposition: Ayr United Score (H/T): 0-1 (0-0)
Competition: Division One Venue: Somerset Park Attendance: N/K
Scorers: [0-1] Rough (53)
Cards (Yellow): Edwards (DAFC), Malone (Ayr)
Pars Team: Duff, W Callaghan, Lunn, McNicoll, Baillie, McLean, Edwards, McLaren, Mitchell, Gardner (Cowan), Robertson 
Ayr: Stewart, Maloney, Murphy, McAnespie, Fleming, Mitchell, Young, Ferguson, Hood, McCulloch, Rough. Sub: Reynolds
Referee: J McRoberts (Wishaw)
Another disappointing performance from a Pars team that had failed to score away from home for the last six weeks. This was a poor game, that saw the DA defence stifle the Ayr attack for most of the 90 minutes. There were reasonable chances for Edwards and McLean, but in 53 minutes Ayr scored. Rough took a long crossfield pass, and having steadied himself, shot low and hard past the diving Duff, with the ball finding the net via the post. Although DA tried to get back into the game after the goal, their lack of firepower failed to trouble the home defence.
After drawing another blank at Ayr, a letter in the Dunfermline Press calls for manager Farm to spend some of the Roy Barry transfer money on a goalscoring forward.
Winger Jim Gillespie signs for DA, a few days after being given a free transfer by neighbours Raith Rovers.
Date: 27th December 1969 Opposition: St Johnstone Score (H/T): 0-1 (0-1)
Competition: Division One Venue: Muirton Park Attendance: N/K
Scorers: [0-1] Hall (24)
Cards (Yellow): None
Pars Team: Duff, W Callaghan, Lunn, McNicoll, Baillie, Renton, Mitchell, McKimmie (Robertson), Edwards, McLaren, Gillespie
St Johnstone: Donaldson, Lambie, Coburn, Gordon, Rooney, McPhee, Aird, Hall, McCavey, Connelly, Aitken. Sub: Argue
Referee: W Anderson (East Kilbride)
Another blank sheet in an away game cost the Athletic dearly, although the end result was something of a travesty on an icy surface. Saints goal was a disaster for full back Willie Callaghan, whose short pass back to Willie Duff was intercepted by Henry Hall, who had the easy task of rolling the ball into an empty net. DA were denied a stonewall penalty in the second half, after McKimmie was barged down. The Pars bombarded the Saints goal for the last 15 minutes, but once again failed to make any impression. 
The  Dunfermline Press bemoans the lack of goals which is affecting the Pars league campaign. Only five teams had scored fewer, and some of them had played less games. The letters page of the Press continued to implore Mr Farm to sign a proven goalscorer, with one correspondent suggesting Kenny Cameron of Dundee United as a possible solution.