Monthly Digest Menu

Monthly Digest - September 2002

The death is announced of director and former chairman, Mel Rennie. Mr Rennie was 78 years old, and was chairman from 1986 to 1991.
Date: 1st September 2002 Opposition: Rangers Score (H/T): 0-6 (0-3)
Competition: Sc Premier League Venue

East End Park

Attendance: 8,948
Scorer: [0-1] Cannigia (11), [0-2] Arteta (27), [0-3] Ricksen (41), [0-4] Ferguson (57 pen), [0-5] Cannigia (59), [0-6] Cannigia (67)
Cards: Nicholson, Dair (DAFC), Arteta (Rangers)
Pars Team: Ruitenbeek; Bullen (Dair 60), Wilson, Skerla, Thomson; Hampshire, Nicholson (Dempsey 60), Mason, Kilgannon (McGroarty 71); Crawford, Brewster. Subs not used: Stillie, Walker.
Rangers: Klos; Muscat, Malcolm, Moore, Numan; Ricksen, Ferguson (Konterman 82), Arteta (Hughes 71); De Boer (Dodds 77), Arveladze, Caniggia. Subs not used: McGregor, Konterman, Ross.
Referee: D McDonald
An absolute disaster of a game. Despite the excellent start made to the season, Dnufermline fans could only look on in horror as their team was taken apart by Rangers. The opening goal in 11 minutes set the tone for game, with Bullen and Wilson both standing aside to allow Cannigia all the time in the world to score. From then on in it was downhill all the way. Two more goals followed before half time, and with another three in the first 22 minutes of the second period, it was an almost empty Norrie McCathie stand that greeted the final whistle with relief. The one bright spot of the game, was the form of goalkeeper Marco Ruitenbeek, who pulled off a number of superb saves, which prevented the score from reaching double figures.
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
5 Partick Thistle 5 1 3 1 4 4 6
6 Dunfermline Ath 5 2 0 3 7 13 6
7 Motherwell 5 1 2 2 7 7 5
The Rangers game marked the re-opening of the newly renovated 1.5 million Main Stand, with it's newly created hospitality areas. The redeveloped stand means that DA will have facilities available for use seven days a week. 
At half time during the Rangers game,  the Pars Legends XI was announced. The eleven players will be imortalised in a mural on a wall in the Legends Bar at EEP. The full line-up including subs is:  Eddie Connachan, John Lunn, Jim Leishman, Norrie McCathie, Roy Barry, Istvan Kozma, Bert Paton Alex Edwards, Alex Ferguson, Charlie Dickson, John Watson. Subs: Ian Westwater, Ross Jack, Harry Melrose,Craig Robertson
The Pars Under 21 team loses 3-0 to Rangers at Dumbarton. 
The Rossi saga takes a new twist, with the club turning to the SFA for help. With no sign of Rossi returning to the club, the Athletic are seeking SFA assistance to cancel the player's contract, but hold onto his registration. 
Stevie Crawford wins his fifth Scottish cap in the 2-2 draw with the Faroe Islands. Stevie is on eof the few players to emerge with credit following a very poor Scottish performance. Meanwhile, boss Jimmy Calderwood leads the calls for Craig Brewster to partner Crawford up front for Scotland.
Date: 11th September 2002 Opposition: Hibernian Score (H/T): 4-1 (3-1)
Competition: Sc Premier League Venue

Easter Road

Attendance: 9,837
Scorer: [1-0] Walker(11), [2-0] Brewster (24), [3-0] Crawford (32), [3-1] Paatelainen (42), [4-1] Brewster (57)
Cards: Bullen, Wilson (DAFC)
Pars Team: Ruitenbeek; Wilson, Skerla, Thomson; Bullen, Nicholson, Mason, Dempsey, Walker (Kilgannon 63); Crawford (Dair 90), Brewster (Hampshire 81). Subs not used: Stillie, McGroarty
Hibernian: Caig; Dempsie, Zambernardi, Fenwick, Matyus; Townsley, Jack (Brebner HT), Murray, Jack, Whittaker (James HT); Luna (McManus 81), Paatelainen. Subs not used: Westwater, Wiss
Referee: S Dougal
The best away performance for years saw DA notch up their first win at Easter Road for 41 years. The Pars swept Hibs away, and were three goals up with just over half an hour gone. Scott Walker opened the goal fest knocking in the rebound after Tony Caig had parried a Brewster header. Number two came from former Hibbee Brewster, who was right on the spot to capitalise after Caig dropped a Bullen cross at his feet. The third saw Stevie Crawford round Caig to pop the ball into the net. Paatelainen puled one back just before the break, but the Pars regained their three goal advantage in 57 minutes, when Brewster slammed home a Walker cross from 12 yards. The Pars could have added to their total but for some spectacular saves by Caig. Nevertheless this was a tremendous record breaking victory by the Athletic, that will be talked about for some tmie.
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
4 Hearts 6 2 3 1 10 6 9
5 Dunfermline Ath 6 3 0 3 11 14 9
6 Motherwell 6 2 2 2 9 8 8
Jimmy Calderwood hails his team's performance against Hibernian as the best away performance over ninety minutes since he arrived at the club.
The second round CIS Cup draw pits Dunfermline against near Fife neighbours, Cowdenbeath. The game will see Hamish French play against the team he coaches. 
Date: 14th September 2002 Opposition: Dundee United Score (H/T): 2-1 (2-0)
Competition: Sc Premier League Venue


Attendance: 6,041
Scorer: [1-0] Dempsey  (9), [2-0] Crawford (16), [2-1] Lilley (50)
Cards: Mason, Kilgannon (DAFC)
Pars Team: Ruitenbeek; Wilson, Skerla, Thomson; Bullen, Nicholson, Mason, Dempsey (Kilgannon 70), Walker; Crawford (Dair 81), Brewster (Hampshire 70). Subs not used: Stillie, McGroarty.
Dundee United: Gallacher; Duff, McGowne, Lauchlan, Cummings; Griffin, Easton (O'Donnell 86), Miller, Wilson (Paterson 67); Lilley (McIntyre 77), Thompson. Subs not used: Jarvie, McCracken
Referee: C Thomson
This was a real game of two halves from the Pars. For most of the first half, DA were well in command, having taken the lead through a superb Dempsey shot from outside the box, after a Brewster lay-off. A second followed, just 7 minutes later, when the in-form Stevie Crawford, capitalised on an error in the United defence, to shoot home past Gallagher. With the second half just five minutes old, a slip by Scott Wilson allowed Derek Lilley the opportunity to pull one back. From then on United dominated the game, and Marco Ruitenbeek pulled off three excellent saves to ensure that full points came home to Fife. 
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
4 Kilmarnock 7 3 3 1 8 8 12
5 Dunfermline Ath 7 4 0 3 13 15 12
6 Dundee 7 2 3 2 8 11 9
The victory at Tannadice saw the Pars record their first back to back away wins since the winter of 90/91.
The Dunfermline Under 21 defeated their Partick Thistle counterparts 1-0 at Firhill. Jason Dair scored the only goal of the game in 43 minutes.
Chairman John Yorkston states that the aim for this season is a third or fourth place finish, with a European slot being secured. The chairman also hoped that with the football the team was playing, attendences would soon rise. 
The League Cup game against Cowdenbeath will be all ticket. The Blue Brazil have agreed not to play Pars coach Hamish French in the game.
Date: 21st September 2002 Opposition: Motherwell Score (H/T): 1-0 (0-0)
Competition: Sc Premier League Venue East End Park Attendance: 4,987
Scorer: [1-0] Bullen (74)
Cards: Wilson (DAFC), Ramsey, McFadden, Leitch (Motherwell)
Pars Team: Ruitenbeek; Skerla, Wilson, Thomson, Bullen, Kilgannon (McGroarty 58),Nicholson, Mason, Dempsey (Walker 82), Crawford, Brewster (Dair 58). Subs not used: Stillie, McGarty
Motherwell: Woods; Corrigan, Hammell, Sengewald (Ramsey 24), Partridge, Pearson (Fagan H/Y), Adams, Leitch, Lasley (Ferguson 82), Lehmann, McFadden. Subs not used: Dubourdeau, Russell
Referee: C Richmond
A very dour game, with Motherwell doing their best to prevent the Pars from playing. There were few noteworthy incidents throughout the game, which was won thanks to a Lee Bullen header from a Barry Nicholson cross. 
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
3 Hearts 8 4 3 1 16 8 15
4 Dunfermline Ath 8 5 0 3 14 15 15
5 Kilmarnock 8 3 3 2 8 10 12
Following his head knock against Motherwell, Craig Brewster will miss out on the short trip to Cowdenbeath to face the Blue Brazil
Date: 24th September 2002 Opposition: Cowdenbeath Score (H/T): 2-1 (0-1) aet
Competition: CIS League Cup Venue Central Park Attendance: 2,988
Scorer: [0-1] Elliott (10), [1-1] Thomson (80), [2-1] Bullen (100)
Cards: Wilson (DAFC)
Pars Team: Stillie, Skerla, Thomson, Wilson, Bullen, Nicholson, Dempsey (Walker 113), Mason (Dair H/T), McGroarty, Crawford (Nicholls 104), Kilgannon. Subs not used: McGarty, Ruitenbeek
Cowdenbeath:  O'Connor, Miller (Munro 33), White, Wilson, Campbell, Dair (Gilfillan 69), Winter, Renwick, Elliott (Gibb 105), Brown, Gordon. Subs not used: McDonald, Graham
Referee: K Clark
What looked a fairly simple proposition, almost went badly wrong for Dunfermlnie. In just 10 minutes, Cowden in their first foray upfield, scored a peach of a goal. Brown chipped the ball into the centre where Elliott smashed home a sublime strike from all of 20 yards to give Stillie no chance. And that's how the score stayed for the next 70 minutes, as Dunfermline tried everything, but found there was no way through. Nicholson missed a penalty, the ball hit the post and the crossbar, as well as being cleared off the line, and it looked as if it was going to be one of those nights. Then in 80 minutes Scott Thomson headed home the equaliser via the keeper's hand and the post. A scrappy goal, but nevertheless very welcome. In extra time, much to the relief of all concerned,  Lee Bullen thundered home a loose in the box to put the Pars into the third round.  
The victory over Cowdenbeath sees the Pars land a CIS Cup third round tie against arch rivals Falkirk at East End Park.
In an effort to attract lapsed supporters back to EEP, the club advertises for knowledgeable fans to work in a call centre.  
Three players sweat on late fitness tests prior to the Aberdeen game. Lee Bullen, Stevie Crawford and Scott Wilson were all pre match doubts.
Date: 28th September 2002 Opposition: Aberdeen Score (H/T): 1-3 (1-1)
Competition: Sc Premier League Venue Pittodrie Attendance: 11,678
Scorer: [1-0] Bullen (41), [1-1] Billio (45), [1-2] D'Jaffo (56), [1-3] Derek Young (64)
Yellow Cards: Brewster, Thomson, Nicholson (DAFC), Deloumeaux, Darren Young, Bisconti, Kjaer (Aberdeen)
Red Card: Brewster (DAFC)
Pars Team: Ruitenbeek; Skerla, Wilson (Hampshire 26 (Dempsey 46)), Thomson, Bullen, Nicholson, Mason, Walker (McGroarty 72), Kilgannon, Brewster, Crawford. Subs not used: Stillie, Nicholls
Aberdeen: Kjaer; Deloumeaux, McGuire, Anderson, McAllister (Rutkiewicz 77), Derek Young, Bisconti (Fabiano 82), Darren Young, Billio, D'Jaffo (Mike 58), Mackie. Subs not used: Preece, Payne
Referee: D Somers
The Pars quest to notch up three away wins on the trot for the first time ever in the Premier League came unstuck at Pittodrie. DA were the better of the two teams in the first half, and took the lead when Lee Bullen rocketed home a Sean Kilgannon free-kick. Unfortunately, Aberdeen drew level just before half time, when Billio, with plenty of time, shot, and although Ruitenbeek got a hand to the ball, it looped up and into the net. Aberdeen came into the game in the second half and two goals within eight minutes meant the points would stay in the north. After an hour or so the referee lost the plot and started issuing cards, showing seven in all. With so many players on a yellow it was inevitable that someone would walk, and it was Craig Brewster who went in 90 minutes, having picked up a second yellow for an innocuous challenge  
Pos   Pld W D L F A Pts
3 Hearts 9 4 4 1 18 10 16
4 Dunfermline Ath 9 5 0 4 15 18 15
5 Kilmarnock 9 3 3 3 8 15 12
Following his sending off against Aberdeen, Craig Brewster will miss the SPL game against Partick Thistle.
Dunfermline coach and former player, Hamish French suffers a double leg break in Cowdenbeath's match against Berwick Rangers at Shielfield. The break is likely to signal the end of Hamish's playing career. Meanwhile, Colin Nish, scores twice for Clyde, where he is on loan.