1961 Cup Run Menu

11th March 1961

Dunfermline Athletic 4 (4) Alloa Athletic (0) 0

By Brian Donovan

The Build-up

Following the Aberdeen game, Dunfermline lost both of the league games they played in the run up to the Alloa tie. Against Dundee at Dens Park, Charlie Dickson had countered Seith's early goal, but further strikes by Cowie, Gilzean and Cox saw the Pars go down 4-1. The second game against Third Lanark at home, saw Alex Smith twice give the Pars the lead, but with Jim Herriot having a nightmare in goals, Third Lanark came back to win 3-2. The Press noted, that Herriot might easily have been able to stop all three goals.

The Dunfermline Press headline ran "Dunfermline can make cup history today - Mr Stein deserves success". Jock Stein had just completed his first eventful year as manager of Dunfermline Athletic, and since taking the helm, he had effected a complete change around at East End Park, which had seen the team become more efficient and confident. Jock Stein made the best possible use of the staff under his command, whilst bearing in mind the financial implications of running a provincial club.

A fan signing himself 'Hampden Bound' wrote to the Dunfermline Press calling for manager Stein to urgently make changes to the team due to it's poor league form. Two of the main changes suggested, were replacing Herriot with Connachan, and bringing in Jimmy Wardhaugh, who had played just once since the previous October, on the left wing.

Mr Stein did indeed make two changes to the team that had played in the third round at Aberdeen. Not unexpectedly, Eddie Connachan came into replace Jim Herriot, and Cammy Fraser replaced flu victim, Willie Cunningham.

The Match

Favourites to progress to the semi-final of the Scottish Cup for the first time in their 76 year history, Dunfermline accomplished their task with a four goals in twenty minutes burst. Despite the anticipation that preceded this tie, the early goals and lack of fight from Alloa meant that it was over as a contest long before the end.

The game started with an early shock, as the Alloa centre forward, White, shot straight at Connachan, but was given offside. Smith then had a fine 20 yard effort for the Pars which hit the bar. In eight minutes, a piece of luck enabled the Athletic to take the lead. The Alloa centre half, Rogerson, tried to clear a bouncing Connachan drop kick, but only succeeded in directing his header towards George Peebles, who took control and slipped the ball past Bateman.

Two minutes later, Bateman and his defender Wilson went for a Melrose ball, and between them made a mess of it. Peebles was again on hand to walk the ball into the net.

The Alloa defence continued nervously, and in 19 minutes another Pars goal came along. This time it was a real beauty. Following some good ball play between the entire Dunfermline attack, Tommy McDonald took the final pass to move in a couple of yards from the corner of the penalty box, where he hit a swerving shot into the net near the far post.

McDonald was also involved in the fourth goal in 22 minutes. After taking a Fraser pass he crossed low to Harry Melrose, who on the half turn, hit the ball into the net, to effectively end the game.

After the interval, Alloa came to life for a ten minute spell, and kept the Dunfermline defence occupied. There was one glorious chance for Davidson, but Connachan rushed out to take the ball off the forward's feet before any damage could be done.

Dunfermline then re-established command, and after Mailer hit the bar, Dickson failed to net the rebound. Dickson also failed with an easy chance following a McDonald drive.

Having seen their favourites do enough to progress to the semi-final, with 15 minutes remaining, the crowd started to drift away.

Dunfermline: Connachan, Fraser, Sweeney, Mailer, Williamson, Miller, McDonald, Smith, Dickson, Melrose, McLindon, Peebles.

Alloa: Bateman, Wilson, Vint, Docherty, Rogerson, Smith, Foley, Martin, White, Davidson, McLean.

Referee: R. H. Davidson (Airdrie)


One of the linesmen at the Alloa game was a 'weel kent' face to many of the supporters, having previously been a player with many clubs. Jimmy Inglis played with Falkirk, Cowdenbeath and Queen of the South, plus a number of English clubs.

The total attendance for all four cup ties now stood at 33,140, with gate receipts of 3,716.

Scottish Cup Quarter Final - 11th March 1961









Dunfermline Athletic


Alloa Athletic






St Mirren